This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Day After The Snow



It is the day after a missed day at work due to snow.


The usual happened. 2 no shows in the morning. And then it hits. The phone starts ringing and we start filling up. All the afternoon slots were filled by lunchtime. Still could be no shows, but I can't worry about that.


Ended up with 13 patients today. 3 wellness renewals including the two I will mention soon. 1 patient returned after 2 years away, and when he found out I did not participate with his insurance, he didn't mind, he said it was worht it as I took almost 45 minutes with him for a short physical and talk session. I could not have done that 2 years ago. I would not have had the time.


A good feeling this morning. An 82 yo man, a patient in my practice for many years, renewed his and his wifes wellness plan for the year. They have a Medicare-HMO plan that would enable them to recieve care elsewhere, and at a much reduced cost. Instead , he paid today in full for the wellness plan on his credit card. His wife was only in my office twice last year, but he still wanted her on the plan, primarily to fix the costs for the year. This couple does not have a lotof money, and lives off of a fixed income. But they obviously value my services. They have trust that I am working solely for them.


On another note, I am looking to further the wellness part of the practice. I am in the process of hiring a massage therapist. I think this will add to the value that patient's receive from my office. The fee schedule has not been cemented yet, but patient's in my wellness plans will get a discount.


The goal of my practice is to be as third party free as possible, and be able to give truly valuable services to those who come to my office for care. The key to keeping patient's in this system is one word, trust!


DoctorSH



No comments: