This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Annoying day

Ever have one of those annoying days?

Mondays are tough enough, but you walk into your office, find out your medical assistant is late. She walks in 2 minutes before the first patient.

Then my first patient complains about his bill, $90 for an office visit that lasted 30 minutes + a labdraw. The next patient was a no show. The 11am new patient also no showed.

I like to start off Mondays on a good note, and when patients No Show, it kind of ticks me off. It shows lack of respect, and a lack of true value. I track all no shows in my emr, and I have stopped scheduling repeat no show-ers.

Overall we had 16 patients thru the office today.

1 wellness plan renewal from last year.
1 new wellness plan for a child. This child is on medicaid, but the mother, who joined last week, has trouble getting in to her pediatricians office quickly. My assumption is the quick availability in my office is valuable.

The revenues for the day were actually good as we had a good number of selfpay patients.

So what started out annoying actually turned out ok.

Pearls for the day:

Don't let the ignorant (no show-ers) annoy you.

Show your value by being available, If a patient is sick and wants an appointment, get them in same day. They might not be sick tomorrow!

DoctorSH

No comments: