This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Communication and the toys we use

Isn't the weekend supposed to be for rest?

Not when you are trying to build a medical practice!!!

It started last night, after hours when I received two phone calls.

The first from a family I have treated for many years. Their son needs surgey on his finger on Tuesday, and needs a physical and clearance prior. He can not miss any more school, so in to the office I went today. Of course, while I was there, I checked out his older sisters broken toe, and renewed a prescription for his mother.

The second call I received last night was about the 8 year old girl who almost got "peed" on by my dog last week. She is just about over her flu, but broke out in an itchy rash on her face, elbows, and knees.
She was taking several OTC natural remedies. I had her parents take a
digital photo and email it to me. I then checked the picture and spoke to the mother. Mom sent me a text message this morning stating her daughter was fine today and all resolved.

After I finished with the preop physical, I checked the fax and some lab results.
Don't ever do this on a weekend if you want to get home. I received lab results on an octogenarian with CHF whose potassium has risen to 6.1. I am co-managing her case with a cardiologist. So I called the cardio and left a message on his cellphone voicemail. Then after 15 minutes, I sent him a text message. He returned my call 5 minutes later. He had just landed in Vegas for a conference that his wife needed to attend. We spoke for about 10 minutes and then I called the pateint with further instructions. This is a solo cardiologist who knows each of his patient's very well, and he communicates with me at length. He is always available to talk about any patient, whether it is his or not!

The fax machine resulted in an ER report of a 21yo patient who was found to have SVT. He was treated and sent home for cardiology follow-up. I have treated his family for over 10 years and have a good rapport with them. I called his mother on her cell to see if I could speed up the process of a cardiologist appointment. Mom was appreciative for the call!

Pearl of the day: When starting or transitioning a practice, be available, even on your days off, and do not be afraid to use new communication tools like cell phones, email, digital pix, and text messaging. Your patient's appreciate the effort!

No comments: