This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Week Ahead

It is sunday. I get to sit and relax, my laptop at the ready, with a news show on in the background. Tomorrow is the start of a new week. Tomorrow is also President's day. Schools are closed. Many other businesses are also closed. My office is open!

Tomorrow being a national holiday means that it will be a busier day than normal. But that is a good thing. An empty office is not one that will remain viable in today's healthcare system. But that is not the subject of today's blog post, which is the week ahead.

As many of you already know, I transitioned my practice away from third parties in January 2008. I made some good decisions and some that were not so good. But as I own my solo private practice, I can remedy and change on a dime. One aspect of my practice that my transition has allowed is the accomodation of same day appointments. My motto is that if a patient calls in the morning, we will do our best to offer an appointment for same day. But to follow through with this pledge, I need to control my schedule. This is done by keeping my open hours appropriate for the amount of patient's in my practice. At present this allows my workdays to be Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

As of today, this coming week has 20 scheduled appointments. This bodes well for the week as a good week in my practice system is 50-60 patients per week. Now most are frontloaded with 13 patients on Monday, so the busiest day of the week will also be the first day of the week, and also the day that sets the tone for the remainder of the week.

DoctorSH

No comments: