This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Monday, February 16, 2009

February 16, 2009

2-16-09

Monday, the dreaded first day of the week. It starts at 9am and ends around 8PM. But today, the schedule was front loaded, with most patient's seen in the am. I actually ended seeing patient's at 6:30PM, giving me enough time to make call backs, recheck some documentation, and actually sit for 10 minutes and eat dinner. A nice change from a few years ago.

I saw 22 patients today. A busy day for now, but will probably be the average in a few years. But without the hassle of billing insurance, it was a pleasure. Two patients renewed their wellness plan agreement today without even being seen. I find that it is the trust between myself and my patient's that makes the system work. As long as I keep the patient-centered approach, without the bullsh.t, the practice should continue to grow.

While 22 patient's were seen today, tomorrows schedule has 6 so far. It will end up double that, but I still need to grow the practice with new patient's, especially in the zero copay wellness plans. I am working on an advertising plan, and hoping for more word-of-mouth and referrals from within.

While I do not participate with third parties, most of my patients still rely on these insurers for payment of testing. Today a patient with thyroiditis by laboratory studies was denied precertification for a thyroid scan. The patient has been hospitalized twice so far, once with new onset atrial fibrillation. It truly makes sense that some insurance wonk can make a decision on the worthwhileness of a test when they have never seen, spoken to, nor examined the patient. These third parties are the downfall of the medical system. They really need to be removed!!

DoctorSH

No comments: