This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

First two days status-post Medicare Opt-out!

It's July 2, 2012




First two days status-post Medicare Opt-out!


I can tell you I feel a sense of freedom. Every patient that walks through the door to see me, does so of their own free will because they value my service. They do not visit me because I am part of an insurance cartel. They visit me for the value I give to them! It is really refreshing.


I have spoken to quite a few of my present Medicare patients. I will get to most of them hopefully by the end of July. None of them will be abandoned. If they choose to leave me, that is their option. But I plan on giving 10-15 minutes of my time to each of them in my office to hear me out, and hear my options for them.

Since I received my officially opted out letter from Medicare, which is presently at the framing studio getting the nicest possible frame around it, I have signed 14 private contracts with patients. Almost half signed onto a wellness plan, similar to a retainer package but with other benefits.


My wellness option allows Medicare patients my services for the year for about $55/month autodebited from their bank account monthly. Married couples get my services for $90/month. But wait!!! What about all those Medicare patients on a fixed income. I have a reduced fee wellness plan version for them. So far I have not been turned down yet when I have had the opportunity to first chat in person about the reasons for dropping Medicare as well as the continued opportunities to stay within my practice.


Just a few minutes before writing this post, I received an angry voice mail message from a Medicare patient who I see about twice a year, but I get probably triple that many phone calls and pharmacy refills, etc... She never asked to speak to me. She only spoke to my medical assistant. The patient never gave my MA the opportunity to explain the options still available to her. I will get these patients as well. They are free to leave and I will arrange follow-up care for them as well as forwarding their records.


I have no issue with my Medicare population. I enjoy treating them. I learn plenty from them. I also know that many feel "entitled" to receive care for no cost outside of their Medicare premium. I value myself and my services different from that. The entitled may go elsewhere.


After the 4th, I have 4-5 more Medicare meet-n-greets scheduled to review options. I will surely let you know how it goes.


I hope everyone enjoys the July 4th Holiday!


Stay safe and healthy!!

No comments: