This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's been a few weeks

It's been a few weeks since my last post. Daily posting can get cumbersome after a while, but I am back!! I have realized that looking at daily numbers does not give a good overview of my practice transition. It is similar to a dieter checking the scale before and after each meal. Just too much information. So I will continue posting, but at a slightly decreased frequency.

Since April 20th, I have worked 10 days and the following occured:

patients seen 102
New patients 4
Wellness Patients 42
Selfpay 39
Medicare 17

26 Wellness Plan enrollments
21 were renewals
5 previously selfpay patients enrolled.
----------------------------------------------
The wellness plan enrollments alone almost pay my overhead. So the goal, as always, is to increase this part of the practice. I am presently researching additions to my plans that would encompass more dietary, holistic, cardiac and corporate versions. As the 2008 to 2009 wellness plan renewal rates are over 80%, with some patients just delaying coming in to renew, the concept is working. Now the object is to get to 1000 active patients and close the panel and become a doctor first and only, instead of a doctor , businessman, and marketer. The best run medical practice is one that grows from word of mouth with very little marketing. But it takes a few years to get to the level where this will occur. Until that time, I will continue to actively market my practice, my ideas, and my views on patient care. I will try to attract the type of patient that wants my style.

I have another blog that I write for my patients. The patient response has been terrific. In fact, half of my patient visits end with the statement, "Doc, keep sending me those email newsletters you write." It has been the most productive practice builder and goodwill generator of my career.

It can be found at http://drhorvitz.blogspot.com/

DoctorSH

No comments: