This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Interesting Discussion with a patient

I had an interesting discussion with a patient yesterday. She works as a schoolteacher at an elementary school one mile from my office. She and her family have been with my practice for about 8 years and have referred many new patients to my office. Surprisingly, over the past 2-3 months, I have seen and heard very little from her. She came in yesterday to discuss some health issues and to "feel me out" on whether my new wellness plans were right for her and her family.

Her daughter is about to graduate from high school and has gotten accepted to a very prestigious college. Unfortunately, prestigious colleges come with a high price tag. She told me she had to watch her pennies a bit more, and was upset at my new pricing structure. In fact, she and her daughter had a few visits at another local doc who accepted insurance. Yet she came back in for a visit and to talk.

The question is not why she tried another doctor. That is purely a financial motive. The question is why did she come back?

1) Trust
2) Value
3) Excellent Doctor-Patient Relationship
4) Long history with family

She not only came back, but re-enrolled in the wellness plan, with the auto-monthly bank debit option. She threatened that I would "lose money" on her as she would come in more frequently. I laughed and smiled, and said "Bring it on, That does not scare me. That is my job!!"

Pearl of the day:

Trust and Value are extremely important in any doctor-patient relationship. With a cash practice, with no third party intruders, it is easier to build and maintain!!

DoctorSH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please keep going, I find your blog fascinating. Although for some reason your blog link is directing to a bible study page.