This blog will hopefully give other docs an inside look at the trials and tribulations of transitioning a busy solo family practice office to a third party and managed care free practice.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Day After

The Day After Obamacare became law.

To anyone reading this blog.

With Obamacare now law, the days of private practice in a third-party dominated system are just about over. If you choose to continue to participate with Medicare, and private insurance payers, you better get real lean, or join a group practice, or even work for a hospital system.

The problem with all the above options are they do not work for the independent minded docs. I did not go into medicine to work for someone else. I went into medicine for the independence.

So I will state again, the days of private practice in a third-party dominated system are just about over.

But......

You can still get out of the third party system, make your office lean and efficient, and work directly with your patients. Work for a single payer system, where the single payer is the patient.

I have been away for awhile, concentrating on other issues. My practice is slowly growing, while my office expenses are slowly being whittled down further. It is amazing at all the fluff offices spend on, that we really do not need.

Start thinking like a businessperson, and remember the customer is always right in a business transaction, not a healthcare decision. Cater to individuals, and prove you are worthy of more than a $10 copay.

There will end up being a two-tiered system this decade. It will consist of the government run large practices and hospital systems, with all their largesse and accompanying overhead, overcrowding, and long waits.

And there will be the remaining independent practices, who cater to no one but their patients. Independent practices that offer cost effective quality care in a timely manner.

So everyone, make your decision , and live with it. Otherwise stop complaining about Obamacare and either get on board, or jump off like I did, and chart your own course!!

I would post more on this blog, if I got any feedback or comments. I do not feel like anyone is listening so the posts have trickled.

BTW, I started a new blog, Healthscare101blog, which can be found here. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't quit blogging. We're busy working on our own slow transition away from third party payers and eagerly read anything new from you that comes across my RSS reader.